Here is a collection of stories that I have heard / read while growing up and / or googled now to tell my daughter :)

Hope you / your children enjoy it as much as we did.

Friday, 25 March 2016

Avatars of Lord Vishnu - Narasimha Avatar Part 1

After Varaha avatara.. here is the story of how Lord Vishnu came as Narasimha to kill the other brother Vijaya who was born as HiranyaKashipu.

Jaya and Vijaya were born as sons of Sage Kashyapa and his wife Diti. After Hiranyaksha was killed by Lord Vishnu in his Varaha avatara, Hiranyakashipu become the king  of asuras. He was burning with the desire to defeat the Devas and in turn kill Lord Vishnu. He realised every time he attacks the Devas, they are saved by Lord Vishnu, so needed a boon to increase his power and defeat the Devas.

He left his pregnant wife in the care of his ministers and left to the jungle to perform penance and worship Lord Brahma. He thought " I will worship Lord Brahma and ask for a boon which will make me immortal and give me supreme powers to defeat and Kill Lord Vishnu".

Indra came to know Hiranyakashipu's wife Kayadu is carrying a child, he felt this would be right time to attack the kingdom of Asuras and take Kayadu as hostage.

Indra led his army of devas to the kingdom of Asuras and attacked them.  After a fierce battle, the kingless Asuras fled the Kingdom. Indra marched into the palace of Kayadu and started dragging her away to his kingdom Amaravthi.

Kayadu prayed Lord Indra for mercy and begged him release her taking pity on her condition. Indra was relentless. Just then, Sage Narada appeared before Indra and asked him "Hey Indra, what is this? who is this poor lady and why are you dragging her away?".

Indra said "Oh! Muni, I have just now defeated the asuras, I am taking their Queen as my prisoner. I will use her as a hostage in case Hiranyakashipu attack us later.. I will use her to distract him and will kill Hiranyakashipu"

Narada got super angry when he heard this.. He shouted at Indra "Hey Indra, What is wrong with you? You are the king of devas, How can you stoop to this level and hurt an innocent woman? She has not fought you, she has not lifted any weapons against you. So why are you behaving like a Asura yourself? Just to win a battle.. how can you use another man's wife? She is pure and innocent, taking her hostage would be a great sin against mankind....Leave her be and go back to your kingdom and enjoy your victory"

Indra looked angrily at the sage and threw Kayadu out of the chariot and took his men and went back to devaloka.

Narada ran to the weeping Kayadu and asked "Daughter, are you all right?" and lifted her from the ground.

Kayadu fell on Narada's feet and said "Oh great sage, I am wife of Hiranyakashipu. Thank you sir for saving my life and my child's life. Thank you for saving me from Indra, If he had managed to kidnap me, I would have killed him and killed myself. I cannot think of betraying my husband.. Please help me, if you leave me here Indra will come back again and try to kidnap me, I do not have the strength to fight him now."

Sage Narada said "Calm down child, it is ok now, you are carring a child, getting angry at this time is not good for you and for your child. Come with me to my ashram, you can rest there without any fear till your husband comes back for you.

Narada smiled, he realised now why Lord Vishnu had asked him to intervene and stop Indra from taking Kayadu to Devaloka. He thought "Oh! antaryami.. your game plan is masterful"

He started travelling to his Ashram, on the way to pass time he started singing the stories of Lord Vishnu. After they reached the ashram, Kayadu quickly got adjusted to the life of the ashram as she started feeling she is safe there. Every evening Narada used to tell stories of Lord Vishnu, the child in her womb used to love these stories and developed an unbreaking attachment to Lord Vishnu,

On the other had, there was Hiranyakashipu who was performing a very difficult penance in the Jungle, he had stopped eating and drinking and was standing on one foot and was praying lord Brahma, when Brahma did not appear infront of him, he stopped inhaling Air and continued his penance. The heat generated from this started reaching to deva loka, the people on the earth could not bear the heat and started crying for mercy.

Indra sent his beautiful Apsaras - Ramba, Urvashi and Menaka to break the Asura's penance. But alas it was of no use. He sent Vayu, who blew everything around Hiranyakashipu with huge gusts of Air and created wind which blew away the trees around the place where Hiranyakashipu was chanting to Lord Brahma. Then Indra sent Varuna, the rain god to break the penence. Varuna created heavy downpour of rain, which created floods and washed away everything around the Asura. Even this did not break the meditation. Hiranyakashipu was so deep in his meditation that creepers had grown around him.

The devas could not bear the heat caused by the chantings of Hiranyakashipu, they ran to Brahma and asked him to help them. Brahma said "Oh Devas, I cannot help you, I am bound by Hiranyakashipu's devotion, I have to go to him now". Saying this Brahma vanished from Brahma loka.

No comments:

Post a Comment