Here is a collection of stories that I have heard / read while growing up and / or googled now to tell my daughter :)

Hope you / your children enjoy it as much as we did.

Wednesday, 9 November 2016

Avatars of Lord Vishnu - Narasimha Avatar Part 2

When Brahma disappeared, Indra became very scared. He started thinking what he should do to stay the king of devaloka. He suddenly realised while Hiranyakashipu is doing penance in the forest, there is no one looking after his kingdom. And the Asuras are not very powerful without their king.

He started thinking "Ah! why didn't I think of this before. The Asuraloka is without any king now. If I attack now, I can easily kill and defeat the asuras. Once I destroy them, even if Hiranyakashipu comes back, he will be powerless against me!"

He immediately gathered his army of devas around and attacked the kingdom of asuras. The asuras without their great king were no match for the devas. The asuras were defeated an Lord Indra and his army drove them away from their kingdom.

Lord Indra marched into the city and beaming with pride walked into the palace in search of Hiranyakashipu's family. In the royal palace he found Kayadu, the wife of Hiranyakashipu. Indra becomes very happy and thinks "I will make her my prisoner. If Hiranyakasipu comes back, I will be able to use her as a hostage". Indra started dragging Kayadu away from the palace and towards Amaravti, the palace of lord Indra.

Kayadu started crying loudly and repeatedly requested Indra to release her. Indra forcibly pushed her into his chariot and started driving towards Amaravathi.

Suddenly he heard a voice yelling "Oh! Indra.. god of the devas.. what are you doing! STOP dragging the woman".

Indra stopped the chariot and turnred to see who was calling him. He was surprised to see an angry Narada walking to him. Indra bowed to Narada and asked "Sir, what happened? Why are you so angry? This is Kayadu, wife of Hiranyakashipu. I attacked the asuras and have defeated them. She is my prisoner now. I am taking her to Amaravathi. I will use her as hostage in case Hiranyakashipu comes back and attacks us the devas."

Sage Narada turned further red with anger. He screamed at Indra "Oh! Devendra, have you lost your mind? you have won the battle, do you think stealing another man's wife and hurting her makes you a veerpurush? Did she raise any weapon against you, did she attack your people? Look at her, she is an innocent. Hurting her and taking her forcibly is a great sin"

Indra said "But she is my enemy's wife. I will take her as a war hostage. Please move Sage Narada, I am going home with my prisoner"

Sage Narada said "What is wrong with you. I will not tolerate this injustice. If required I will fight with you to save Kayadu. Leave her with me and go to Amaravathi and celebrate your victory". Indra in the end relented and left Kayadu in the middle of the ruins of the capital city and went to Amaravathi.

Sage Narada rushed to Kayadu's side and lifted from the ground. He said "Are you alright my daughter? Here come along, sit ounder this tree and take some rest. Indra has gone and you are safe now here with me"

Kayadu closed her eyes till she stopped trembling, she fell on Sage Narada's feet and said "Thank you maha muni, you saved my life. I do not know what I would have done if Indra had managed to take me to Amaravati. I am Hiranyakashipu's wife and this Indra attacked us when my husband is away from the kingdom.. Thank you for saving me from the savage. You not only saved my life, saved the life of my unborn child too". She started crying out loud and fell on Narada's feet.

Narada lifted Kayadu and said "Oh! my daughter, you need to control yourself, such grief and anger is not good for the health of your unborn child. You do not fret, you can come with me and stay with me in my ashram till your husband returns. You will be safe in my ashram".

Kayadu lifted her head and thought to herself.. "Oh! what do I do now. My asuras have fled the kingdom and my kingdom is in ruins. There is no one who can help us now.. If I stay here, Indra might come back and kill me.". She drew a shuddering breath and told Narada "O mahamuni.. please take me to your ashram, I will come with you"

Narada lifted his head towards vaikunta and smiled and thought "O Lord Vishnu, I cannot wait to see what your plan is!!" and said to Kayadu " Come my daughter let us go". So it began!

No comments:

Post a Comment